We run Stepping Hill Hospital, and other specialist centres, as well as community health services for Stockport.
Stepping Hill Hospital first opened in 1905 and was a military hospital during the first World War. We now employ over 5,000 staff and were one of the first NHS trusts in the country to achieve foundation trust status in 2004.
We are a specialist `hub` centre for emergency and high risk general surgery, one of only four in Greater Manchester and covering the South East sector of our region.
Overall responsibility for delivering services rests with the Board of Directors. We are fully committed to being transparent and implementing the principles of Being Open and Honest.
As a Foundation Trust we also have a Board of Governors who are the voice of the local community, the majority of whom are elected from our public membership.
- Stepping Hill Hospital, Stockport
- Devonshire Centre for Neuro-rehabilitation, Stockport
- The Bluebell Transfer to Assess Unit, Stockport
Health centres/clinics (community health services)
- 24 community locations across Stockport
- Also provide community health services in people’s homes
- Get closer to our community health centres and clinics, view our virtual tours
Key Facts & Figures
- 5,000 staff - second largest employer in Stockport after Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council
- 160 consultants and around 1,500 nurses (hospital and district nurses in community)
- over £300 million income
- Stepping Hill Hospital sees around 500,000 patients per year
- On average, around 40% of patients in our hospital are aged 80 years and over (50% aged 75 or over)