Welcome to Stockport NHS Foundation Trust
Stockport NHS Foundation Trust runs Stepping Hill Hospital, and other specialist centres, as well as community health services for Stockport.
Stepping Hill Hospital first opened in 1905 and was a military hospital during the first World War. The hospital now sees around 500,000 patients per year.
We employ over 5,000 staff - providing hospital services for Stockport and the High Peak in Derbyshire, as well as community health services for Stockport.
We were one of the first NHS trusts in the country to achieve foundation trust status in 2004. As an associate teaching hospital we play an important part on helping to train the doctors and nurses of the future.
We are in the Stockport Together partnership which is committed to the integration of local health and social care services and to delivering more care closer to people’s homes. This partnership is central to our strategy for future provision of sustainable, high quality, effective services for our population.
We run one of only three hyper-acute specialist stroke centres in Greater Manchester and are one of only four hospital sites in this region for emergency and planned high risk general surgery.
We are one of only two hospitals in Greater Manchester undertaking C-spine surgery, for people with slipped disks or compressed spinal cords – and our trauma & orthopaedics department is one of largest in the country.
Explore a selection of our services by viewing our virtual tours.
- Stepping Hill Hospital, Stockport
- Devonshire Centre for Neuro-rehabilitation, Stockport
- The Meadows palliative care centre, Stockport
Health centres/clinics (community health services)
- 24 community locations across Stockport
- Also provide community health services in people’s homes
- Get closer to our community health centres and clinics, view our virtual tours
Key Facts and Figures
- 5,000 staff - second largest employer in Stockport after Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council
- 160 consultants and around 1,500 nurses (hospital and district nurses in community)
- £303 million income
- Stepping Hill Hospital sees around 500,000 patients per year
- On average, around 40% of patients in our hospital are aged 80 years and over (50% aged 75 or over)